Monday, February 4, 2008

Bliss,Blasphemey and Belief


Bliss, Blasphemey and Belief.
This is the theme for a poetry submission I came across yesterday. This is not an immediately familiar theme to me, as I have never had any formal religious education. I presume that for someone with such an education, these words have meaning, that are associated with story...associated with actual living.....
Blasphemy....to my mind I think straight away of the destruction and desecration of our planet. The heavy feet of people trampling over the sacred..... Ignorantly stomping on the face of the divine.....
To my mind, we are the way the cosmos can know itself.....our planet is the manifestation, of what I can only describe as 'life force'.
To be aggressive, and uncaring about our planet and all the life that fills it, to disrespect the common ancestry of all living things, to see ourselves as apart and beyond the rest of creation is to me blasphemous.
Bliss is one of those words that sounds like what it is.......must be the long drawing out of the ss's
but to my ears bliss....sounds ...well..it sounds blissful :)
I am not sure I have ever really had more than fleeting momentary experiences of bliss....a few minutes here and there, speckling times of contentment and joy.....
Does the Dali Lama always feel bliss? He certainly looks like it is a state he is familiar with....always he appears so serene.
In my dictionary, bliss is also associated with abandonment and exaltation. These are not what I would have immediately thought....and yet to be 'exalt blissfully' sounds pretty nice......can you have these experiences without some spiritual or religious connotation....does bliss imply a belief in something greater than ourselves? Would someone with no spirituality experience bliss? I mean doesn't there have to be abandonment to something? And exaltation of something?.....are we able to experience bliss, in a natural state? I am not sure....and it is hard to tell, since religious education or no, I do have spiritual beliefs...and for me I guess bliss is kinda tied up in that. But having said that, I think that bliss could come from just knowing a 'connectedness' to the earth, the universe and the wonder of life........
Belief is difficult for me.... I think in my time it has become associated with so much that is negative....it seems people use very strong beliefs to justify really nasty behaviour. It seems sometimes that having a belief is enough.....you do not have to have reason for it...just strong conviction. I think the things we believe can be looked at...updated, tossed out or rejuvenated.....I have not too much trouble changing my mind, and do not feel the need to hang onto to beliefs when they have obviously moved past expiry....but then do I truly believe in the first place?
Ok well...I believe the world is round...and this is unlikely to change :) I also believe that most people are good most of the time.....now this is different, because I choose to believe it....I don't actually know it for a fact...but for me to have this belief makes my life richer, and more positive....or so I choose to believe !!

4 comments:

Debbie said...

Kiyiya, dear,

I've tagged you so you are it!
Nanny-nanny boo boo!

Visit the "meme" post on my blog and play along if you like!

Happy blogging,
Prairie Star

kerrdelune said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kerrdelune said...

Kiyiya, I am trying again - have just added you to the list of favorite links at my blogging place.

http://www.kerrdelune.blogspot.com

Furry hugs,
Nokomis

L'Adelaide said...

kiyaya,
so nice to get to know you more through your beautiful prose...and yes, the dalai lama does "look" angry sometimes but I suspect it's an act!

:) love, linda sky